Search This Blog

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Diligent Hands


The team is trained and we are ready to get to work. On Saturday, after a week of training, piloting, and doing surveys at Parque Central, we went to Colonia San Miguel and did some door to door surveying. It was a huge success.

The team did a great job and my spanish is getting good enough for me to do surveys myself, unbelievable! The picture to the right shows myself (far left), Dra. Duron, and the rest of the survey team. We collected about 130 surveys from going door to door.

Special update…..The electricity just went out – my Honduran mama, Marina, and sisters were saying that the lights went out in Honduras, Nicaragua, and El Salvador because they are all on the same grid. Anyway, the word on my little wind up radio from LL.Bean was that they shut the power off in Honduras in order to stop an impending protest against the government. Where I stay is surrounded by 10ft walls and barbed wire, so I am safe, don’t worry. I am writing this post again so the electricity is obviously back on.

Anyway, I told Marina back in January that I would make pizza when I returned to Honduras for the summer. Tonight I did, under candle light and in a gas stove. It came out great, and while we were waiting for the electricity to come back on we were indulging in some homemade pizza and italian stuffed bread. The ingredients are very basic, so I had no trouble picking them up at the supermarket.

I leave at 7am tomorrow because traffic here is ridiculous, I mean insane. It is worse during rush hour here than any place I have been. It literally takes 1.5 hours to get to a place that should take 15min. And worse, since nobody follows the laws when they drive and are super aggressive, if you do not cut someone off, you will never be able to merge into a lane or cross traffic.

No comments:

Post a Comment