Search This Blog

Saturday, June 5, 2010

When I say rest, I mean....La Victoria

Instead of remaining at Mision Caribe, the mission home where I stay, I went with a group to La Victoria. La Victoria is a place that you will not find on any map. It is south of Tegucigalpa and very rural. We drove for about 1.5 hours on a dirt road replete with pot holes and rivers running across it. Our driver Miguel was wonderful. He even shook a mango tree for us to gather some fresh mangos. The people in this village do not have electricity or running water, and they subsistent farm. I did not see any health posts but did see a Farmacia on the way there (maybe 1 hour away by car). One older woman hurt her hip and has been in bed for 6 years, she says. Another said she was able to get medicine for her high blood pressure, but somehow it caused her arm to go limp and face to lose feeling. It seems that she had a stroke.

It was a good for me to get acquainted with more Honduran culture because in order for me to do good work here I must be aware of the many intricacies of these fascinating people. So, although I did not do any formal research today, I gained invaluable knowledge about Honduran people and culture first-hand. These pictures do not do justice, but I hope you enjoy them.

The road leading into La Victoria.

The church that the people from Mision Caribe recently built.

Inside the church.

A view from the top of the mountain. From this point you can see 360 degrees of mountains.

Myself with Mariella, who works at Mision Caribe and served as our translator, and Miguel, our driver and also a pastor in Tegucigalpa. Miguel used to live out by La Victoria and we actually saw some of his family on the drive up.


No comments:

Post a Comment